Rated ‘the most sustainable real estate company in the world’ by Dow Jones Sustainability Index 2014-15, 2015-16.
Stockland is the largest diversified property company in Australia. The company owns, manages and develops a growing portfolio of shopping centres, logistics centres, business parks, residential communities, retirement living villages and office assets.
Stockland was one of Kinesis’ foundation clients in 2007, commissioning Kinesis to streamline their NGER reporting requirements and processes. Since then, Stockland has played an integral role in guiding the shape and delivery of Kinesis’ corporate sustainability software and services.
In June 2014 Stockland released a competitive tender for the delivery of a web tool that incorporated environmental, social and financial metrics into a single integrated analytics and reporting platform. The chosen solution was to replace the functionality of several of their existing platforms including elements of their billing software and social sustainability reporting platform into ‘one single source of truth’. In addition to the standard environmental data collection and reporting functionality, this tender also included requirements for:
- Flexible survey functionality to capture and validate disparate data sets across their entire portfolio.
- Data capture for community investment and initiative tracking.
- Effectively map disparate data sets to KPIs under the broader sustainability strategy to enhance their integrated reporting ambitions.
- The provision of an interactive and intuitive dashboard flexible enough to provide analytical insights to a range of users across various business units, while maintaining the existing ‘template’ reporting functionalities used for streamlined reporting.
Description of solution
Kinesis was awarded the contract ahead of several other competitive bids. The proposed solution consisted of a multi-year licence to CCAP Integrated, which included the following key deliverables and support services:
- A detailed mapping process that would align data sources and projects to strategic pillars within their corporate sustainability strategy.
- The ability to view and engage with interval data acquired from sub-meters, NEM12 and solar.
- Flexible social/qualitative data capture functionality to enable their social reporting.
- The automated generation of various regulatory (NGERS), voluntary (LBG, GRESB) and internal data management (survey completion & data integrity) reports.
- Additional strategic support for assurance and data management.
The inclusion of a flexible survey module enabled Stockland to streamline the collection and verification of data from FMs across their entire portfolio. The incorporation of single sign-on allowed for seamless utilisation across the organisation, jumping to over 250 active users.
The mapping of data sources to the sustainability strategy enabled the automated generation of a custom CR&S report which provides the foundation for the annual Sustainability Report.
This centralised approach to data capture across environmental, social and community based metrics has also significantly streamlined the assurance process, with auditors specifically reporting a significant improvement in social data management across the organisation.
This newly improved tool played an integral role helping Stockland regain the title of the most sustainable property company in Australia, being named GRESB’s global sector leader for diversified office/retail 2016, Global Real Estate Sector Leader by DJSI for 2015-16 & 2016-17.